Burning Permits1. Residents are asked to notify the Rochester Fire Dispatch at 507-328-2800 prior to burning or filing for a burning Permit: Cascade Township residents may contact the Cascade Township Fire Warden: Neil Farnham @ 507-288-0908.
2. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is pleased to offer citizens the option to purchase annual open burning permits online at https://webapps15.dnr.state.mn.us/burning-permits/. Permits obtained through this system are valid for the calendar year in which they are purchased, but must be activated each day burning occurs. The fee for this annual open burning permit is five dollars ($5.00).
After completing the application process and paying the five-dollar fee, you will be able to save an electronic copy and will be asked to print your permit at the end of the process. You must have the printed permit with you while conducting your burn.
Permits available online are currently only offered for burning small piles of vegetative material or for burning areas less than one acre in size (about the size of a football field). If you wish to burn large piles or larger areas, you will need to contact a local forestry office.
What you will need before starting the application process:
- You must be the landowner or have written permission of the landowner to burn at the burn site location.
- Information about the type of burn (piled material, grass field, garden plot etc.)
- Location of the burn, either an address (E-911 compatible) or the legal description (available on your property tax statement)
- Credit/Debit card (Mastercard or Visa)
- Printer - to print your completed permit (you must have printed permit with you while conducting your burning operation)
- A valid email account. An email account is required by the banking system to process your credit card payment. In addition, the email account will allow you to reprint a permit at a later date if it is misplaced or destroyed and will save entry time in the future as much of the information you need to enter will be saved in the system.